Orthodontic treatment is not just for children or teenagers anymore. There was a time when people thought that they had “missed the boat” if they hadn’t straightened their teeth in their childhood. Who doesn’t want to enjoy straighter and more attractive teeth? It has become common for adults to opt for braces to get their teeth straightened with traditional braces, removable aligners or ceramic braces. There’s more to braces than just oral health or aesthetic appeal.
Here are 5 benefits to adults getting braces.
1. Improved Oral Health – This is one the most important reasons for getting adult braces. When there is overcrowding of teeth in your mouth, it can affect your bite and cause pain and other dental complications that can lead to tooth decay and even loss of teeth. These problems can be caused by misaligned teeth or gum disease which can be prevented by orthodontic treatment.
2. Cosmetic Purpose –The most common reason for adults to opt for braces is to get rid of a crooked smile or to fix the bite problems. Adults may choose to undergo orthodontic treatment even if there is nothing wrong just so that they can get that perfect smile that they’ve always wanted. Fast acting braces are also a great way to drastically reduce the time you will be wearing them.
3. To Avoid TMJ – Temporomandibular joint disorder is a condition when the misalignment of teeth and bite problems causes extreme pressure and strain on the joints. The disorder leads to sore jaws, inflammation and severe headaches. You can avoid TMJ by opting for adult braces which can correct crooked teeth that have already been causing a lot problems.
4. Cost Efficient- The idea of getting braces as an adult can be counterintuitive at first but when you consider the cumulative cost of cavities and gum disease treatments, tooth extractions or dentures and implants in the future, getting braces is a much easier and economic choice. It also prevents tooth decay, chipping of teeth, cracks and tooth loss which can be expensive to repair and restore.
5. Improved Self-esteem–Research shows that improved dental structure increases a person’s self-esteem. Our smile has a lot to do with how others perceive us. Therefore, a perfect smile can have great effect on a person’s mental and emotional well-being.
Adult Braces Options – There are different teeth straightening options for adults which your orthodontist will be able to give information about. Though metal brackets are noticeable they are still the most effective and quickest way to straighten your teeth. If metal braces put you off there are options like ceramic braces, clear aligners and Invisalign available which may take a while to make a difference but are almost impossible to notice when you smile.
Getting orthodontic treatment can increase your self-esteem and confidence. Oral health is one of the most important factors of your overall health. To avoid dental complications, it is necessary to get orthodontic treatment which has more than just cosmetic benefits. For any adult who suffers from dental issues and is not happy with their smile it is extremely beneficial to get braces.
Dr. Satish Pai – an Ivy League trained dentist and a faculty at Columbia University, believes that a perfect smile not only makes a person look great but feel great while boosting confidence. As the founder of Putnam Orthodontics, he is dedicated to not only creating perfect smiles for his patients but also educating people with his engaging articles about all things related to a perfect smile and oral health. Spending time with his family always brings a smile on his face. In his free time, you can find him golfing, doing yoga or surfing.